Maplewood House and MSA Manor are long term care homes in Abbotsford operated by Maplewood Care Society, a non-profit organization dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in supporting individuals with chronic illness. There are 112 people who live in the two care homes. There is also a Day Program for Older Adults serving an average of 65 clients per week and support for caregivers.
As a member of the Maintenance team upholding Maplewood Care Society’s Mission, Vision and Values, and established policies and procedures, committing to professional and facility codes of ethics and functions within the regulations, standards and guidelines governing residential care.
Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor and as a member of the Maintenance Team, this position’s main responsibility is the manual maintenance duties related to building and equipment with some responsibility to groundskeeping at Maplewood Care Society’s locations. This includes system monitoring, carpentry, electrical, painting, plumbing and grounds, building maintenance. This position while working must maintain and work in a clean safe work environment.
Duties and Functions:
Building and Equipment
- To follow established preventative maintenance procedures on a timely basis for buildings and related equipment and recommend repairs or purchases where required.
- Repair furniture and equipment as required.
- Repair damage to floors, walls, windows.
- Repair / Replace electrical fixtures/appliances and plumbing fixtures.
- Troubleshoot any breakdowns or malfunctioning equipment/medical apparatuses and make the necessary repair or suggest options to correct the issues to management.
- Conduct regular inspections and monitoring systems to ensure no operational issues.
- Prepares and completes work orders as required.
- Moving furniture and equipment as required.
- Be familiar with emergency and disaster plans including the operation of the backup generator.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Grounds Keeping & Maintenance
- Maintain buildings and yards appearance and perform some grounds maintenance.
- Assist in receiving deliveries from vendors.
- To collect and dispose of garbage/recycled materials to the outside bins.
- Assist to clear snow and ice from areas such as driveways and walkways.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position must plan and prioritize their work according to demand and preventative maintenance.
- Work independently with little supervision.
- To operate the facilities’ equipment and vehicles in accordance with safety standards and preventative maintenance procedures.
- Keep Maintenance areas clean and organized.
Education and Experience:
- Grade 12 or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal and work independently and with others.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize, plan and schedule work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Familiar with emergency plans.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Considerable walking and standing.
- Moderate to heavy lifting, reaching and squatting.
- Exposure to all climatic weather.
- Exposure to biochemical agents and strong odours.
- Exposure to wet floors and noisy, hot, humid, and cold conditions.
- Exposure to all resident care elements through direct resident contact.
- On-call and occasional irregular hours and responsibilities.
If you are interested in joining our team, we invite you to forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We do thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.